French Fries

So I just went to this fabulous Turkish restaurant and had a very delectable falafel sandwich. Along with this amazing treat I was given a small order of french fries and I realized just how much I love french fries. Now I realize they're bad for me and that I should really only eat them in small and infrequent doses. However, it seems a shame to miss out on such a perfect food. I'll give up chocolate and ice cream, no problem, but don't take away my french fries. Speaking of "giving up" something...

Lent just ended. For those of you who don't know, during Lent it is often customary for people to "give up" something they desire, or crave. It's supposed to be a spiritual practice or exercise and I think for many people it is. I've never been very good at it. For example, one time I gave up Twizzlers (another favorite) for Lent. I was living in Bet Hanina, outside the old city of Jerusalem. We had offered a challenge to our friends at home to attempt to break a record for the highest volume of twizzlers sent overseas. (Never mind that there is no such record nor did we ever have proof that said record existed, we were just sick of Menthol flavored suckers). So here I am, living in the one city where I really should be able to have a "holy" experience during the Lenten season...it being, of course the place Jesus did his thing, and what was I doing? I was obsessing over Twizzlers. I admit, I ate a few, but I didn't enjoy them...ok I did, but I did feel guilty about it.

After that experience I gave up "giving up" things for Lent but not because I think it's a bad idea. I'm just excessively not good at it. But this doesn't mean I don't experience Lent either. I do, it's one of my favorite "seasons" of the church year. It's an introspective time. A time to huddle in close and consider things. It's a time to wonder about what's coming and to think about what it means for there to be a colossal shift on the horizon. Regardless of your religious persuasion, I'd recommend a lenten-type season. A time on the tail of winter to be deeply intentional about something. So what does this have to do with french fries? I guess nothing...but that doesn't mean I don't still love them.

Comments

Popular Posts